Sunday, January 13, 2008

Christianity vs. Jehovah's Witnesses

Wow! What a big topic. Something I now wish I knew more about. 

let's go back for a minute...remember when you were little and you used to get random knocks on your front door at the most random times of the day? When you opened it, if you did, you'd see a couple of people from the nearest Kingdom Hall coming to talk about being a Jehovah's Witness?When I was little, it happened frequently in my neighborhood, and after awhile, I'd hear my mom or dad somewhere in the house say "don't get it, it's just Jehovah's Witnesses...."

It's been a long time since that has happened to me...until today. This morning, I decided to sleep in for a change, and go to the night church service. I was sleeping real good, when all of the sudden Chewy started barking because of a knock at the door. My first thought was, "who the heck is knocking at my door at 10am?" then I thought "darn it, they see my car in the driveway and know that I'm home...I guess I'll get up." As soon as I answered the door, I saw two ladies, one with a bible. One lady said "we'd just like to share with you a verse from the bible" and i said (being sleepy) "sure, go ahead, I read the bible and I'd love to hear." After she started talking about "the kingdom" I knew that they were Jehovah's witnesses. My first thought was why did i even open the door?!? And then it hit me...i am a Witness too...though i believe differently. Part of my responsibility is to spread the Truth that I believe. So, i let them keep speaking. All the while, my mind was drifting back to a mission trip I took to NYC one year in highschool, where I learned alot about the beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses as we passed the "WatchTower" headquarters building. I could've kicked myself...i couldn't remember all of the differences in our beliefs. I couldn't even remember any of the main, very important differences. How am I supposed to reach them with the Truth, if I can't refute what they believe. I said "i believe in Jesus" and she said "well, we do too"...crap! Then I just admitted that I would gladly take the magazine but that I knew I believed differently than she did. I told her I would go and do some studying again to refresh myself of what they believe that is different from Christianity. And that's what I did...right away, I went and opened up my mac and googled "refuting Jehovah's Witnesses." I found a few good sites to read up on their faith. It made me ponder again, how did so many different religions and faiths come to exist? Why does God allow all of these to exist? If there are other people out there who believe so deeply in their faith, as I do mine, and they believe that theirs is the one true way, how will I ever reach them? ...i know some of the technical, book answers for these questions, but I still struggle with them in my heart. 

At the very least, I'm glad that I had a knock on the door this morning. Some people might have been irked that they were woken up from some good sleep, or that they were "pestered" by some Jehovah's Witnesses. I, however, am grateful for the opportunity to study their faith again and feel even more solid in mine. I'm grateful that this gave me another chance to be reminded of what they believe in, so that next time I might remember what I read today and be able to speak truth into someone's life. After all, who knows if I'll become good friends with someone here who is a JW? I'll be more equipped now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love Notes