Sunday, January 6, 2008

New Year's Resolution 1: Reading the Bible

Ok, I am the first to admit that I do not read my Bible every day. Who does? I mean, I know there are people out there who are great about doing their daily devotions, but I am not one of them. Although I've heard and been reminded on several occasions how beneficial it is to read the Bible, I still suck at it. How can I rely on the scriptures (aka the Truth) to get me through the good times and the bad, if I can't "remember" what they say? Even further, how can I trust in the Lord to bring me through the storm if I'm not solid in what the scriptures say? I want to be well versed on the truths of the Bible so that I can quote scriptures to myself when I need to be reminded of how Jesus will work in any particular situation. 

Tonight at Buckhead Church, the pastor spoke about "a" way to read the bible. He reminded me that I don't have to give up altogether if I miss a day or two, or twenty. Many of us feel like failures when we miss our devotional time, and then we just completely give up and don't keep trying. He reminded me that I don't have to spend an hour in the Bible everday, at first...because it's not realistic all the time. He reminded me that you don't have to read a full chapter or book each day- it's not about length, it's about depth. He said that we should choose 5 or 10 verses, and read them, then meditate and hear what they are saying, then pray. Read, meditate, pray...continually for about 10-15 minutes each morning. We don't have to be perfect- ie, do it every day- but we do have to try. This is one of my New Year's Resolutions. I want to go deeper...and this is a great way to do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love Notes