Thursday, February 7, 2008

Work

This is my 8th week working for the Home Depot in Atlanta. As you may have already read, I am an inventory analyst. It's the kind of job I've been wanting for awhile...and I hope it will get me where I want to go in the Supply Chain world quickly. 

Being my 8th week, you might think I've been doing a lot of work, catching up on lost time. Not so. I've been bored out of my head, for much of each day, for a few weeks now. I've been screaming (on the inside) for responsibility. It's just the culture of Home Depot to "take it slow" and just glide into things. BUT, this week I finally began doing my own work, for real. I was finally given complete control over all of my SKUs for the watering class- cool, i get to order hoses, that's fun huh? Actually, I don't care what I get to order, I'm just glad I'm finally working. It's nice to feel like I'm worth something, and that I'm filling my day up with meaningful things. At the end of the day, I'm working with about $25 million dollars worth of product, for all of the United States. If I screw anything up, i'm in big trouble. Likewise, if I do a good job, i make a profit for the HD, and that is just plain great any way you slice it. It's not to be adding value to my team and for my managers. It's like a breath of fresh air. I'm back in place. I'm doing work. I'm accomplishing great things. I feel like I'm of some worth. I'm in the game, and I'm going for it. 

Speaking of going for it...I still have a few hours of work left to do for the night. While I'm NOT a work-a-holic, i can almost taste it...YUM, it feels good to be doing what I've wanted to do for a long time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love Notes